Free Treatment for RSBY & BPL Patients

The Ministry of Labour and Employment, Government of India, has rolled out the Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojna (RSBY) or the National Health Insurance Scheme to provide health insurance coverage to below poverty line (BPL) families. The objective of the scheme is “to improve access of BPL families to quality medical care for treatment of diseases involving hospitalization and surgery through an identified network of health care providers.” The beneficiaries under RSBY are entitled to an insurance cover of INR 30,000 for most of the diseases that require hospitalization. The Government has fixed package rates for medical and surgical interventions, or procedures, for a large number of interventions. Preexisting conditions are covered from day one and there is no age limit for the insured. Coverage extends to a maximum of five members of the family which includes the head of the household, the spouse and up to three dependents. Beneficiaries have to pay INR 30 as registration fee. At each hospital visit, if an ailment is covered in the list of pre-defined illnesses, a pre-determined amount will be withdrawn from the card in favour of the hospital. The central government pays 75 per cent of the premium and the remaining 25 per cent is paid by the state government. The insurance company is selected by the state government on the basis of competitive bidding.